Saturday, October 20, 2007

Days of Our Lives

Boy yesterday was one of those days! First I was woke up by one of the registered nurses that help monitor my diabetes and asthma. That turned out to be no big deal...I think she was new! She didn't do any probing or make any suggestions etc. Yeah, I got off the phone without feeling convicted etc. But the next phone call was not so easy!

I guess while I had been blissfully (is there such a word?) sleeping in on my day off, my sister had been trying to get ahold of me. She lives close to my mom and stops by in the morning to give her her pills. Yesterday she had a paper for her to sign and mom could not even write. Mom has arthritis in her fingers pretty bad, and it usually takes her awhile to sign her name. We are on her checkbook and usually write her checks. But she went to sign it and could not even hold the pen right. She didn't know how any more. She was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's, so that in itself was not too suprising. But there was something about it that was nagging at my sister. She got into work and it was still bugging her so she showed it to some of the people in her office and then showed them her signature from a couple weeks ago. They convinced her to have it checked out. So she called Mom's doctors office and they told her to go to urgent care or the hospital. Hence the phone call that finally got me up.

I met them at urgent care and mom got a cat scan and vision test etc. as she was having trouble seeing as well. Her eyes were pretty equal at this point and the cat scan was ok now but they think she had a TIA or mini stroke. Whatever damage that was done was already done so she has to follow up with her doctor on next Friday.

We took Mom to lunch and then we went together to get her groceries while her and her puppy took a nap. After we got her all snuggled in for the night and the groceries put away we finally came back to my house.

We had a craft thing with the ladies from my church. It was a nice way to relax a little. The only problem was, everyone was supposed to bring finger foods. And oh did they, but the first 20 women brought desserts! Oh my. There really was not much that I could have. So I threw caution to the wind! But, I am back in the saddle today.

Something is changing in me. Normally that would have been the end of my diet. I blew it so lets just have something else, and breakfast today would have consisted of the leftover cupcakes that somehow ended up at my house...thanks sis! And then lunch would have been McD's cuz I haven't had them in so long. You get the picture!

I guess even tho I had chocolate (Ahhh!!!) last night it is still a victory for me!


Blogger tugboat 54 said...

Congrats on the weight loss.........I have been eating everything chocolate that is not nailed down. When will this all end???????/

October 22, 2007 6:50 PM  
Anonymous ...jus me said...

Just think, when we get to Heaven we can eat all the chocolate we want and we won't gain an ounce!!!

October 22, 2007 10:44 PM  
Anonymous marci said...

Thats a great victory!.. and one of my (hopefully old) bad habits too. Now I am learning that if I have a set-back.. let it be a small one.. and not an all day (week, month) event. You did great getting back at it! Way to go!

*well wishes for your mom.. that has to be tough..

October 25, 2007 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home