Sunday, January 29, 2006

Hard Headed Woman

Hi All! I am not really ignoring you! I know it seems like it, life just has a way of getting in the way sometimes. That's my excuse and I am sticking to it!

Guess I should update you on my progress. I have been doing pretty well foodwise! Well, since I gave myself "permission" to eat two cookies at church. (Hey, they have 'soft' cookies and you know how I love them!) I found if I don't beat myself up about those cookies then it doesn't give me the ok, to say "Oh guess I will just eat what I want today as I had cookies already." That was always my downfall. I would feel like I cheated so I could convince myself to go off for the next meal and then pretty soon it was for the day and then the week-end, and the week, and you know how that goes...pretty soon there is another 30 lbs. on my hips and behind and I am trying to figure out how to get motivated for ANOTHER diet. So I am thrilled that I am not dieting! I can get rid of the guilt trip and just keep pluggin away.

I lost 6 lbs. last week and then on Wednesday (weigh day) I was down another 3 lbs. I am sure it will slow down now to a pound or two a week, if I am lucky. I started some actual physical activity this week too so it might even show a gain. On the 4th I will be doing measurements and will let you know what my total inches lost are.

Right now I am concentrating on keeping my blood sugar level on an even keel. This is no easy task! This is the first time I have monitored it so consistantly so it's proving to be very enlightening. So, needless to say, staying away from white flour and sugar goes a long way to making my diabetes happy, as well as the weight loss from that endeavor helps with my other health issues.

I am so thankful for my dear son-in-law. He brought my treadmill in for me and got it all set up for me. This was on Tuesday, and I have walked for 5 minutes everyday since. I know this may not seem like much to most of you that are reading this, but trust me, for me it is a big deal! I have been sedentary for so long, because of physical limitations and partially from just being a slug!

You would think with my family history I would be scared into being fit and healthy! My poor father had a major heart attack followed by a quadruple bypass. After this he was walking everyday and being careful. Then he went back to his sedentary ways and had another major heart attack. This one was also followed by a quadruple bypass, only it had serious complications. The doctor cut through his aorta when performing the surgery which caused him to have a major stroke on the table and he came out of it in a coma. Daddy came out of the coma after three weeks and began his rehabilitation. Unfortunately, he had a careless therapist that tried to move him and pulled his sholder out of the socket. Well, Daddy pretty much gave up on therapy after that and to make a long story short, he spent the next 17 years trapped in a hospital bed in his living room. And if that was not enough to do it, my sister has had 3 stints put in! You would think I would learn, and not be so Hard Headed! I have every reason to eat healthy and get lots of exercise...One would think this would be enough incentive.

I can not really say I am committed, but I am getting there. I am starting to get a little bit of energy here and there, and that feels good! It is good to have my daughter trying to get healthy at the same time. We can try to motivate each other. Lord knows, we have corrupted each other with Nacho Saturday and ice cream and a spoon, and of course, our love for liquid sugar (Mountain Dew). So we could really use any suggestions any of you might have on how to get and stay committed to eating healthy and staying active (you notice I really have a problem with the "E" word E-X-E-R-C-I-S-E!) Let us know your tips for sticking with it! We need all the help we can get. And we could use some good recipes for some tasty low carb healthy meals. Can't wait to hear from you all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home